Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ticked-off Tuesday

I'm not really all that ticked off. It just sounded like a good title. The sun is out. The temperature is fairly mild. I went shopping today and scored some decent bargains. I have a Victoria's Secret shopping bag with stuff in it - noneya! That's what's in it! I have a new pair of flip-flops. That's right. I'm letting stuff between my toes now. I feel very evolved. I paid $100.50 for $173 worth of groceries. I know, I know. Serious improvement could be done there. HOWEVER. I will mention that the way the baggers put my groceries in bags does qualify for the title for today. I actually put my stuff on the conveyor belt according to where they should be grouped together in a bag. Yogurts go in the fridge as do fruits and veggies. Frozen dinners will be going in the freezer with all that chicken. And the warm popcorn chicken from the deli will be eaten soon or will be dinner. BUT it will not be going next to the yogurt in the fridge - not until much later after it's been discovered that no one wants to eat it right now and it has sat on the counter for a respectable but not culture causing amount of hours. So why is the popcorn chicken in the bag with the yogurt? And one of my random boxes of clearance banana bread mix? Why are my eggs in a bag with the overly ripe avocado and why aren't they sitting flush on the bottom of the eco-friendly bag that I brought in myself rather than on their side? Back in the day, there was a sense of pride about how a bagger put a bag of groceries together. I think there were even competitions! But now I almost NEVER get home without a completely smooshed bag of bread. And by the way - that's broken bread. The kids don't eat broken bread. Like ever. It's just not done. I am just not clear on how this is not a common sense arena. Like items with like items. And even if I make allowances that it's not a common sense issue, isn't it just easier and faster to put it in the way you are getting access to it rather than picking items from various parts of the already designated groupings?

The flip side is that if this is the extent of stuff that I have to bitc..., uhm complain and moan about - well life is pretty dang good.

1 comment:

BonCoffey said...

It is SO good to see you back on the blog, Jenny - I love your writing and I, too, am convinced there's a book in you waiting to be written.

Glad to see the Build-A-Bear excursion went well; sent b-day cards for the twins so they should be there soon.

Hugs & smooches for all!

Mom